Friday, April 20, 2018

Humans versus Nature

By Nicole Eng

I think humans have this constant desire to fix things. We adopt rescue animals, study climate change, and donate to charities. While some of these actions are justified, some human interactions may be more harmful than helpful. For instance, does nature really need our help? After spending a week in a Costa Rican Tropical Dry Forest, I think nature pretty much has it figured out. Instead of trying to change things, I think humans need to appreciate the ingenuity of nature and leave it be.
            One night at Palo Verde, after an intense game of Uno with my classmates, Mau came into the classroom holding a toad. We quickly noticed a large tick on one of its hind legs. We asked Mau if he was going to remove the tick and I was shocked and mildly upset when he said no. Why wouldnt we help this toad? It pained me to know that the toad was suffering and that we humans who had more than the potential of solving this problem were not going to intervene. Thats nature, Mau informed us, a concept that has stayed with me the past few days and has been emphasized in almost every lecture I have attended while abroad. I have quickly realized that nature doesnt need our help and it shouldnt be forced to receive it. In that case, I assigned more value to the toads quality of life than to the ticks who is also just trying to survive. Who am I to decide that, though?
I realized the ingenuity of the iguanas living around the station after noticing that they have made homes in the gaps of concrete lain to create sidewalks and to hold up a boardwalk created to give humans a better view of the marsh. Initially I thought their presence was cool, but I quickly started to dislike being scared by one inconspicuously walking in the leaves next to me or waiting for me as I came out the bathroom. This perspective changed, however, when I realized that they had to adapt to our presence more than I had to adapt to theirs. Now, instead of being annoyed by their presence, I feel a bit sorry for them. This sadness is assuaged by the fact that I now know how good nature is at adapting. Im still impressed by the adaptations plants and mammals have to withstand the dry season and the fact that different species have different dispersal modes based on the ecosystem they are adapted to. I am in awe of the adaptations plants have to had to make in order to live successfully in the harsh conditions of the mangroves.

However, after thinking about how good organisms in the natural world are at adapting to their environment and arguing to leave them alone, I am somewhat conflicted about human driven restoration projects. Where should the line on human intervention be drawn? After learning about the benefits of restoring the marshland and removing the invasive cattails, I understand why humans want to get involved. In order to restore the areas of clear water that have become covered by vegetation, humans must take action. This action, however, directly opposes natures desired progression towards becoming a forest. Is there a difference between a human removing a tick from a toad and a human driving a tractor to kill all the cattails in what used to a wetland? Whos to say? Questions to ponder during the next three months in Costa Rica

No comments:

Post a Comment