Sunday, April 29, 2018

Coffee, Farmers, and the World Trade Market

By Gil Wermeling

February 14 was a day of many emotions. I spent the morning writing out Valentine’s Day notes for my classmates. We had decided to make baggies for each other and each write notes for the others, much how I remember it happening in my elementary school. As I wrote I allowed myself to think of what I love: family and friends, my partner, places I’ve been, and experiences I’ve had. Others in the program used the morning to go to Catholic Mass as it was also Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. We have a very busy daily schedule so I know that the opportunity to attend mass here was very special. I know that my emotions were running higher that day, and I suspect it was true for others as well. It certainly contributed to the wave of self-loathing that washed over me during our evening class as we watched the 2006 documentary Black Gold about the global coffee industry and its effects on famers in Ethiopia. 
            I could mention all the facts that the documentary presented. Most coffee farmers in Ethiopia make less than two dollars a day. Under five percent of adults have completed a high school education.  Goods from Africa contribute one percent to the World trade market. If that amount doubled the corresponding increase in emergency aid would be fivefold. Seven million Ethiopians depend on emergency aid. These facts are important to know, but they were difficult for me to picture. 
            What captured my attention better than any fact were the stories presented in the documentary: a mother and her emaciated child turned away from a feeding camp because the child’s health is not poor enough to be given emergency aid; a farmer who is destroying his coffee crop to plant chat, an illegal, highly-addictive drug, because he can sell it for more money than coffee and his family is starving; a coffee cooperative meeting where those present agree to use what small profit they have made to build a school for their children even though many will have to pay extra from their own pockets.   
            But what can I as an individual possibly do to help a coffee farmer in Ethiopia? Well, I drink coffee. Its time I start paying attention to where that coffee is from. In my own home it can be as easy as buying fair trade or direct trade coffee made in Ethiopia. I can also tell my friends and family and ask that they do the same. On a larger scale I can figure out where my home university gets its coffee. I can tell others at my school and we can petition the administration to change its buying habits. 
            Impacts of consumers are felt around the world. The individual purchases of a single consumer do matter. We as consumers need to be more conscious of our buying decisions. Consider that the extra money you spend buying fair trade options over store brands is helping to provide food and education to impoverished families. We as consumers need to influence the world trade market.

No comments:

Post a Comment