Saturday, May 5, 2018

A Night with the Bri Bri

By Karen Weinstock
 
The destination for today was an indigenous community. Rafael, the Bri-Bri community organizer, greeted us and gave us a run down about indigenous life. He spent an hour telling us about how two tribes live in this reserve, and that each one has different rules and regulations, but are governed similarly which is why it made sense for them to be together. He told us a story about how Sibü (god) and the earth were connected by a large tree, but this was too close for the indigenous people so they asked white people to help cut down the tree. Therefore, their beliefs prescribe a positive relationship between light skinned and indigenous people. He told us that if a woman marries an external man, the kids will be part of the tribe, but if a man marries an external woman their kids will not be part of the tribe because it’s passed maternally.


After his talk, I asked Cris, the TA, to stay back so I can talk to Rafael and Cris could help translate. I asked Rafael to tell stories of their religion, and he told me about how Sibü is from another universe and came to this one, sacrificed his niece Hiridia, and created the Earth. Each tribe is represented by an animal or plant, the tribes worship all together in a conical house that represents the layers of the earth and underworld. There’s also a Dinamu (water jaguar), a demon, that comes to Earth through the water to eat people.


Rafael was really touched that I was interested in this culture, and offered to give me a book about the Bri-Bri people. I told him I was interested in learning about his culture, so he taught me words in Bri-Bri such as: Bure-bure (good night/ tomorrow), chi-chi (dog), cua-cua (butterfly), Wokie (boss), mamarkua (flower), wimbro (spirit). Cris offered how I have my own culture I could share, Hebrew and Judaism. Rafael asked me to speak Hebrew to him, which I did willingly, despite knowing that he would not understand a word I said. I asked him if he wanted to know a few words, and since he didn’t have a place to write down what I said, I went to the whiteboard to teach. We started with common words and phrases, and eventually got to the alphabet and writing people’s names. Two boys, probably aged 17, who listened and chimed in when Rafael told me stories, became fascinated when I got to the Hebrew part. They sat in front of the whiteboard, asked questions, practiced pronunciation, and were invested in my lesson. At the end Rafael thanked me for teaching him my culture, and I thanked him for teaching me his. It was fascinating, honestly, how this night turned into a total jumble of Spanish, English, Hebrew, and Bri-Bri and learning about cultures and exchanging stories. I wish I could stay here for longer so I could get to know the indigenous community better. The night was incredible, fascinating, and unforgettable. Rafael ended up gifting me a limited-edition book about indigenous clans in Costa Rica and a hand-crafted ornament, which will always serve as a reminder of this night of cultural interchange and 4-way language translations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment