Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Getting Over Fears One Catch At A Time

By Finote Gijsman 

I wouldn’t exactly consider myself an arachnophobe, but I definitely would not say that I am a fan of spiders. So you could imagine myreaction when I found out that the faculty led research project I would be working on involved golf ball-sized spiders. Our professor was Jenny Stynoski, a scientist who has been studying poison frog research, investigating the defense mechanisms of the Strawberry Poison Frog (Oophaga pumilio). Our project looked at colored-based learning and prey selection of wandering spiders in the Cupiennius genus of the Ctenidae family. These spiders have been shown to avoid aposematic prey like the Dendrobatid dart frog Oophaga pumilio so we were trying to determine whether these spiders would learn to avoid unpalatable prey under aposematic visual cues – in this case, a red flashing light.
             On the night before our project, our professor gave us an introductory lecture explaining the scope and methods of our experiment. Jenny assured us that these spiders would be easy to find and catch and that it was okay if we weren’t completely comfortable with catching them yet. Although it was somewhat comforting to know that Jenny was also very afraid of spiders, the thought of going out at night hunting these spiders terrified me. “You’ll just have to wrap the Zip-lock bag around the leaf of the bromeliad and, when a spider enters the bag, zip it up tight”, Jenny told us. Easier said than done.
            On the first night of our spider collections, it poured rain. These evening showers were not a new sighting, but we were all still surprised by the sheer amount of rain that was falling that night. Our goal for the night was to catch 20 spiders. The garden at the Las Cruces Biological Station is covered in terrestrial bromeliads, so catching 20 spiders that night seemed like a feasible goal. The four of us split into two groups and covered different areas of the garden. The first 20 minutes of our collection were unsuccessful. The spiders seemed to be just as irritated by the rain as we were. Our clothes were drenched and glued to our bodies. My ankles were soaked in a layer of water that lined the inside of my rain boots.
            Despite the unideal working conditions, we continued to search for these spiders around the station’s garden. Little by little, our search efforts paid off. We found spiders hiding underneath the leaves of the bromeliads, trying to avoid the rain. Every time a spider was spotted, we would surround the bromeliad plant and plan out our scheme of attack. As one person gently wrapped the bag around the bromeliad leaves, the other would use the end of a ruler or a scissor to try to guide the spider into the bag. The job was not very easy. These spiders are extremely sensitive to vibrations so any kind of disturbance would scare them right off of the leaves. A lot of the times the spiders would also outsmart us and jump into the puddles of water found in between the leaves of the bromeliads. Once they were in those small openings at the base of the plants, finding them was near impossible task.
As the night progressed, the field work became more and more fun. We found a group of bromeliads on a hillside by the dining hall that were covered in spiders. Up until then I had been the one guiding the spiders into the bags with a ruler. Jenny had warned us that these spiders were able to bite through the plastic bag and told us about her wild hallucinations when she got bitten by one, so I definitely was not planning on being a victim to these spiders’ fangs. However, the more collections I got to be a part of, the more I got used to them and the more I started to build up my courage.
By 8:30pm, we had caught a total of 15 spiders. Our group had gotten a lot better at spotting and catching them and had developed a routine that was followed for each collection. With only five spiders left to catch, I was determined to catch one on my own before the end of the night. I walked over to the edge of the hill of bromeliads and flashed my light on what looked like a giant cricket sitting in between two of the bromeliad’s leaves. My flashlight wasn’t very bright so I called over my partner to try to help me figure out what it was.
Shocker, it wasn’t a cricket. There were three large spiders, all sitting on the edge of the bromeliad leaves. I knew this was my last chance to catch one. I prepared myself for the catch while my partner tried to find the best angle to approach them. I opened up the bag and reached over the bromeliad leaf. My hands were shaking. Interestingly, my shakes helped disorient the spider well enough for me to be able to zip the bag quickly enough. I screamed through the entire process, but I had finally caught one on my own.
With these three spiders in hand, we only a few were left for us to reach our goal. Satisfied with our collections, we packed up our things and headed back to the house to call it a night. Although we were all extremely wet and cold from being out in the rain for two and a half hours, we were thrilled about the fact that we had collected all of the spiders that we needed for the experiment the following day.
            This project really got me out of my comfort zone and pushed me to face my fear of spiders. I definitely have not totally gotten over that fear, but I am proud that I took this opportunity to face it and make progress on it. I even surprised myself by offering to help the second group catch spiders the following night! I’m excited to see what other challenges are going to be thrown at me this semester, and I look forward to getting involved in other creative projects like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment