Monday, October 2, 2017

Field Observations: A Return to Childhood

By Rowan Etzel

I've always loved spending time outside. As a budding scientist, I used to spend all my free time outdoors, sketching animals, mimicking bird calls, collecting insects, or simply watching the clouds change in the sky above me. In recent years, however, I've grown more distant from that part of myself, more caught up in the daily business of schoolwork and my various commitments and less connected to the world around me. I miss those days of immersion in the natural world, and one of my reasons for coming on this course was to regain that sense of immediacy and purpose.
On our first night at Palo Verde, I decided to take a walk down the road. Alone in the darkness, with just my feeble flashlight for guidance, I felt the forest come alive around me. Frogs were calling, bats swooping to catch the insects disturbed by my steps. The forest was teeming with life, and I felt present in a way that I hadn’t in a long while. At home and at college I love going on walks alone in the woods on a regular basis, but I’m so used to the woods of the northeast that they’ve lost most of their novelty to me, instead seeming more like a second home. There was such a distinct pleasure in walking outside to find a whole new ecosystem right there, and to be able to go access it whenever as part of the work for this course. I love writing field notebook entries, both for the simple organizational pleasure of ordering my thoughts as well as a physical chronicle of the creatures I see. Every day I’ve made it my goal to spend some time alone outside, taking some time to focus in on the butterflies, the ants, the birds, or just keeping my eyes open for whatever comes along.

The sheer number of the animals I see here daily is astounding. There’s just so much going on in any tiny area of ground. A couple of days ago I was sitting by the side of the road, watching and taking notes. In just a few minutes’ time I saw so many things that it was hard to keep up in writing them down. Several dung beetles rolled their cargo by my feet, slowly zig-zagging their way across the road. A hummingbird whirred by to dip its long beak into a hibiscus flower a few feet from my face, its colors darkly shimmering in the sun. Two different types of wasp were digging into the mud of a drying puddle, and several types of butterflies floated in and our of the underbrush. A white-speckle-winged bird and I spent ten minutes watching each other, with the bird alternating between rustling around in the underbrush and jumping out to sit in the road and cock its head at me inquisitively, as if I were the one being observed.
In conducting field observations, I feel an unexpected return to my childhood, when I used to spend hours watching the world around me. I've grown to realize that my study of science and research is improved by cultivating that childlike sense of looking at the world, of observation and inference without judgement. Such an unfiltered outlook allows me to collect information more objectively, and removes some of the inhibitions I've gained over the years. What drew me to science in the first place was the joy of discovering the world we live in, and there’s a lot to unearth here in Costa Rica. 

No comments:

Post a Comment