Tuesday, September 29, 2015

What happens without Wi-Fi




The drive to Cuerici Biological Station was not only beautiful, but quite an adventure in terms of winding roads, passing cars, and all the sights around. Leaving Las Cruces was slightly sad, but I was ready for a new climate and experience. Las Cruces was slightly isolated, but Cuerici was a whole other story as we were welcomed with about a 15 to 20 minute off road and bumpy, yet riveting, ride into the property from the main road. All of us stuffed into the course car on flat road was tight, but add bumps and the 10 of us became much closer in a matter of minutes. As we pulled up to the Cuerici Biological Station main house I was very impressed. Not only was the cooler weather a slight relief from the previous heat, but the house was a lovely log cabin style building that reminded me of a ski lodge in a way as the chimney fire was roaring, bringing me a sense of warmth and comfort – even with the looming idea of not having Wi-Fi for four days.
Although the thought of not having Wi-Fi really unsettled some of the others, I was oddly content about the fact. It is so rare today in such a technological age to have a break from all of it for a bit. Everyone is always so concerned with what is going on in the outside world that they are glued to the screens around them – I myself being guilty of this. I was excited to take this opportunity to not only learn about the beautiful montane forest and property we were visiting, but to also take a break from the outside for a bit.
By taking a break from the screens and having the opportunity to immerse myself in books and the environment around me, it was clear that Cuerici was full of some really genuine people and things. During our stay there, our lectures and conversations with Don Carlos Solano really put into perspective the commitment and sacrifice of the people who run the station and it was quite a humbling moment for me. When talking about conservation and protection policy in Costa Rica, it really amazed me that there are people out there willing to live on so little, for example Don Carlos, just to be able to protect, conserve, and educate others about the special environment they hold so close to their hearts. I don’t know if I would ever be able to fully invest that much, but I think that Don Carlos and the Cuerici Biological Station should be used as a prime example that if we all just lived a little more frugally and supported the environment around us, then the people like Don Carlos would never have to chose between protecting the forest or handling familial/personal emergencies if they ever occurred. In order to prevent future destruction, we must protect what we already have and try to restore what was lost.
Shannon Law-Clark
Providence College

Picture above: Trout farming pools at Cuerici
Below: Lookout from Oak Forest

No comments:

Post a Comment